Marple Christian Church seeks a part-time choir director.
The part-time choir director is responsible for musical leadership of the congregation. He or she develops, directs and accompanies an adult worship choir so that it is able to sing songs from a wide variety of musical styles, both traditional and contemporary.
The choir director is under the direct supervision of our pastor and works closely with her to plan and provide music for the congregation’s worship services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct our Chancel Choir (while accompanying) during weekly Sunday worship services and during special services during choir season (September through May).
- Hold regular choir rehearsals during choir season to prepare the Choir to sing at Sunday worship services.
- Work collaboratively with the pastor in the selection of choral music.
- Provide other musical leadership and accompaniment as needed.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of traditional and contemporary musical styles; ability to play them proficiently on piano (or organ); and ability to teach these styles to the choir.
- Ability to accompany the choir, and solo musicians and vocalists.
- Familiarity with Christian hymns, anthems, and instrumental music in a variety of styles.
- Ability to direct and motivate a volunteer adult church choir.
- Formal training in music (or equivalent experience and knowledge).
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with the pastor and collegially with the choir.
- Ability to select music that complements the liturgical season and the style of worship.
- Effective interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
- Solid planning and organizational skills.
- Christian faith is a plus.
Hours and Salary:
During choir season (approximately September through May), the choir director can expect to spend 3 hours a week in directing and accompanying, plus time for planning and practice. Compensation is $125 for each week in the choir season and includes one week of paid time off.
This position can serve as an internship, supervised by music faculty at Temple University. Optionally, it can be combined with the position of accompanist.
Marple Christian Church is a small congregation in Broomall, Pennsylvania. We are part of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a mainline ecumenical Protestant denomination. Our Sunday worship service begins at 11:00 a.m. during choir season and at 10:00 a.m. during the summer. Choir season typically lasts from the second Sunday in September to the second Sunday in June. On the first Sunday of each month, our worship takes a somewhat contemporary format; on other Sundays, it follows a more traditional style.
Our choir consists of about ten volunteer adult singers (SATB) who have sung together for years. It rehearses for one evening hour once a week and then briefly on Sunday morning before worship. It sings for all services, except during the summer months and four times a year when our church band plays. During a typical worship service, the choir sings a call to worship, an anthem, and two responses (a prayer response and a final amen or benediction).
Inquiries and Applications:
Contact Jay Treat (firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-800-3276).