The part-time accompanist is responsible for musical leadership of the congregation.
The choir director is under the direct supervision of our pastor and works closely with her to plan and provide music for the congregation’s worship services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide piano (or organ) musical accompaniment during regular Sunday morning services and other special services (Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Maundy Thursday) throughout the year; including hymns, anthems, preludes, service music, offertories, music during communion and transitions, and postludes on piano or organ.
- Work collaboratively with the pastor and choir director in the selection of choral music.
- Provide other musical leadership and accompaniment as needed.
- Extensive piano (or organ) skill, including the ability to sight-read simple hymns in four-part harmony and make simple improvisations during transitions in worship.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of traditional and contemporary musical styles; ability to play them proficiently on piano (or organ); and ability to teach these styles to the choir.
- Ability to lead the congregation in hymns and to accompany the choir, and solo musicians and vocalists.
- Familiarity with Christian hymns, anthems, and instrumental music in a variety of styles.
- Formal training in music (or equivalent experience and knowledge).
- Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with the pastor.
- Ability to select music that complements the liturgical season and the style of worship.
- Effective interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
- Solid planning and organizational skills.
- Christian faith is a plus.
Hours and Salary:
During choir season (approximately September through May), the choir director can expect to spend 2 hours a week in directing and accompanying, plus time for planning and practice. Compensation is $150 for each week and includes one week of paid time off. Additional compensation is given for special services (Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Maundy Thursday).
For students at Temple University, this position can serve as an internship, supervised by music faculty at Temple University. Optionally, it can be combined with the position of choir director (if the pandemic subsides enough to allow our Cchoir to resume rehearsing and singing safely).
Marple Christian Church is a small congregation in Broomall, Pennsylvania. We are part of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a mainline ecumenical Protestant denomination. Our Sunday worship service begins at 11:00 a.m. during choir season and at 10:00 a.m. during the summer. Choir season typically lasts from the second Sunday in September through May. On the first Sunday of each month, our worship takes a somewhat contemporary format; on other Sundays, it follows a more traditional style.
Our choir consists of ten volunteer adult singers (SATB) who have sung together for years. It rehearses for one evening hour once a week and then briefly on Sunday morning before worship. It sings for all services, except during the summer months and four times a year when our church band plays. During a typical worship service, the choir sings a call to worship, an anthem, and two responses (a prayer response and a final amen or benediction). Due to the pandemic, our choir is currently not rehearsing or singing.
Inquiries and Applications:
Contact Jay Treat (firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-800-3276).